[governance] Breakfast Chat

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 19:59:44 EDT 2013

 Dear All,

It is a beautiful morning in Bali. Today is Day 0 of the IGF and is
pre-IGF. Some thoughts this morning.

There are themes which have been the subject of much discussion over the
past seven IGFs such as Human Rights, Enhanced Cooperation. In the face of
complex governance debates on technical, social, economic, political, legal
facets, the development of principles regulating the Internet is critical
to form a starting point for discussion.

 I would encourage you to be brief in your responses to allow for ease of
consolidation of the viewpoints.

*A.   ** Human Rights*

* *

* *

Support for the 10 Internet Rights Principles produced by the Internet
Principles and Dynamic Coalition which includes:

*1.    **Right to Access to the Internet*

*2.    **Right to Non- Discrimination to Internet Access, Use and Governance
*

*3.    **Right to Liberty and Security on the Internet*

*4.    **Right to Development through the Internet*

*5.    **Freedom of Expression and Information on the Internet*

*6.    **Freedom of Religion and Belief on the Internet*

*7.    **Freedom of Online Assembly and Association*

*8.    **Right to Privacy on the Internet*

*9.    **Right to Digital Data Protection*

*10. **Right to Education On or About the Internet*

*11. **Rights of Children On the Internet*

*12. **Rights of People with Disabilities and the Internet*

*13. **Right to Work and the Internet*

*14. **Rights to Online Participation in Public Affairs*

*15. **Rights to Consumer Protection on the Internet*

*16. **Rights to Health and Social Services on the Internet*

*17. **Right to Legal Remedy and Fair Trial for Actions Involving the
Internet*

*18. **Right to Appropriate Social and International Order for the Internet*

*19. **Duties and Responsibilities of the Internet*

*20. **General Clauses*

*To access the PDF, visit: *
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IRP_booklet_final1.pdf
**

*Whilst there are a significant number of people in the IGC who were
involved in the development of these principles in other hats, it is
worthwhile asking whether there is unanimous support within the IGC for
these principles or whether there are reservations for some of the
principles. *

* *

*There is also a written piece which will be released at the conclusion of
the IGF on Online Freedom of Expression – contact *angelacdaly at gmail.com**

* *

*Sticky Issues***

* *

*We invite you to share what you perceive to be sticky issues as far as
Human Rights are on the Internet. *

*(Please be succinct and use 20 words to summarize one issue) To kick start
this, here are few examples:*

* *

*1)   **Conflict of Rights –key considerations and responsibilities should
be underpinned by global public interest*

*2)   **Abuse of Exceptions to Article 19 of the ICCPR – states and
commercial stakeholders should not abuse the exceptions *

*3)   **Etc [Add your take on what you think are sticky issues]*

*Things to Watch out for Today*

·        *Dynamic Coalition on Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the
Media on the Internet will be meeting at the 2013 Internet Governance Forum
on Monday 21 October (Day 0 of the proceedings) from 1600 to 1800 in
roomUluwatu 5 at the Bali Nusa Dua Convention Center.
***

·        *You can also follow the twitter feeds via *@DC_FoE #FoE **

*B.   **High Level Government Meeting*

Norbert Bollow will be attending this meeting as an Observer. I will try to
access this meeting through my involvement in Fiji’s Cyber Security Working
Group as the Chair of the Legal Sub-Committee. One of the Indonesian
Government suggested that I attend and I might “sneak” in. My participation
is as civil society involved in advising government so does not worry – I
am still very much civil society if I am able to attend for my country, I
will definitely keep track of the discussions and report back.

*C.   **GigaNET*

The GigaNET promises to be exciting as leading academics, researchers who
are on the cutting edge of their expert area share insight into the
development.