[governance] Re: [bestbits] Google's growing web of influence

Sonigitu Ekpe soekpe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 23:00:11 EDT 2013

Sonigitu Ekpe Aji :-@ SEA

"Life becomes more meaningful; when we think of others, positively."

+234 8027510179

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/how-google-lobbies-german-government-over-internet-regulation-a-857654.html

> > > http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?288214
> >
> > Around the same time last year a similar analysis came out of how
> > google was trying to (rather effectively) capture the IG related
> > civil society discursive and advocacy space in Germany ...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/how-google-lobbies-german-government-over-internet-regulation-a-857654.html

> > Your choice of the email subject line suggests that you know of this
> > german news item, but just in case...
>
> This sounds like you may have been looking only at the second of the
> two links that I posted. :-)
>
> Anyway I also have first hand knowledge of what Microsoft and Google
> are doing in Switzerland (they do it in different areas, Microsoft in
> regard to software used in the public school/education system), and of
> how way too many people are naïvely going along with it. Very much
> banana republic like.
>
> > If google can do such a thing in a rather mature institutional system
> > of Germany, we can well judge what would it be like in places with
> > less mature social institutions.. I know that in countries ranging
> > from Korea to many countries in Africa, also of course in Asia and
> > Latin America, Google is aggressively throwing in funds for IG civil
> > society groups.
>
> While I do not have any significant first hand knowledge in regard to
> those parts of the world,
Hence the need for continue dialogue to trap and correct the wrongs. what
you're writing here sounds extremely
> plausible -- and scary!!!
Solving problems created by others, need one to understand the intend and
the solutions come in once you can dive into the strategist platform. You
can't solve them when you are outside the room of discussions.

Thank you.