[governance] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Fadi Chehadé: Affirmation of Commitments needs to become contract between 'ICANN and you'

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Oct 19 15:14:05 EDT 2013

The idea that the Affirmation of Commitments should be a contract between ICANN and the people raises very interesting questions.

As some have suggested, this could just be rhetorical blather: another way in which ICANN tells us that we can use our voices and express ourselves, but which gives people no hard accountability.

On the other hand, the idea of a contract between "ICANN and you" could be interpreted as a revival of the notion of _membership_, which was supposed to be the original method of making ICANN democratic and accountable. Members of an organization have specific rights (as well as specific eligibility criteria) and in a California nonprofit the corporate bylaws spelling out those rights/obligations/eligibility could be considered an enforcable contract between the organization and "you."

I hope civil society will be savvy enough to revive the notion of membership as an accountability tool, especially when ICANN's own CEO seems to be inviting us to do that.