[governance] Rousseff UN speech vrs India CIRP proposal - WAS - OPED: Brazil: the New Internet Freedom Champion?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 17 14:22:02 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 08:52 PM, Chinmayi Arun wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> Sorry, I should have been clearer - I did not see the UN CIRP as
> offering much accountability (as far as citizens are concerned) when
> states commit human rights violations. India has not exactly had the
> best track record when it comes to making itself accountable before
> international human rights institutions for its domestic policies
> (neither incidentally has the US). One must bear in mind that domestic
> surveillance systems are being built in India and that there has been
> quite a lot of resistance to government transparency when it comes to
> blocking or interception (it is in this context that the US activities
> are sometimes offered as justification for domestic policy). I do not
> therefore see the UN CIRP proposal in the same light as President
> Rousseff's proposal which does seem to be a call for states to be
> accountable to individuals.

Now that is an important point to come to. In fact, I see no real
difference between what Rousseff said in her UN speech and what India
proposed in the CIRP proposal, other than the obvious fact that the
former dealt more with higher level principles and the CIRP proposal
with specifics. (There is this relatively minor thing about 'oversight
role' of CIRP, a position India was always open about and it its recent
WGEC submission does seek to separate oversight part from general public
policy issues). I read Rousseff's UN statement again - the principal
operational part of it is

  "The United Nations must play a leading role in the effort to regulate
the conduct of States with regard to these technologies".

I am happy to hear arguments to the contrary. On the other hand, one of
the  proposed seven specific tasks of the CIRP was

"Promotion and protection of all human rights, namely, civil, political,
social, economic and  cultural rights, including the Right to Development".

This is similar to Russeff making numerous references to human rights in
her speech while the main thrust was /*the need for a new UN mechanism
to regulate state conduc//t/*. So, I really think that Rousseff's speech
isnt much different from India's CIRP proposal. Maybe, the actual
difference is that Brazil has shown guts to make it clear that it means
business and is not going to be cowed down by pressure - most strongly
shown by the cancellation of US trip which was really really big.... On
the other hand, India has  clearly been weak kneed, and very vulnerable
to all kinds of pressure. External pressure - chiefly from the US, and
of a very intense kind. And internal pressure- from the industry,
largely ochestrated by US companies, (the chief actor being a US telecom
that is quite a villain even within US civil society sector), and
unfortunately,  also many civil society actors within India who in my
view have taken a rather one-sided view about this issue.

Now, if you think I being uncharitable to the involved Indian actors
here, I am happy to be convinced that Rousseff's UN speech and India's
CIRP proposal are really so different for one to be welcomed and
celebrated by civil society, and the other, largely, to be considered
worthy of nothing but contempt.

For me, they are not so different. The only difference is - one, of the
timing (but then, India's proposal was active, and Rousseff's speech
reactive - and there is something to said in favour of foresight and
active approach, and coming up with specific details ) . Second, Brazil
clearly looks like it means business, while India, at least some
quarters of the establishment, allowed themselves to be browbeaten. In
the process, it handed over a crucial geo-political leadership advantage
to Brazil... I dont mind much, as long as it it leads to greater global
justice - but within India, there would at some time be some analysis if
this was not a major lost opportunity.

Regards, parminder