[governance] [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Oct 17 13:33:38 EDT 2013

At 16:22 17/10/2013, John Curran wrote:
>I have no knowledge of what the agenda for the Rio meeting will be,
>but  note that these are two distinct items in the Montevideo Statement -

Dear John,
there are always two faces to a coin. I am quite glad to hear an USSH
participative opinon, our eventual decision being to join forces or not.

>(1)  - They identified the need for ongoing effort to address
>Internet Governance challenges, and agreed to catalyze
>community-wide efforts towards the evolution of global
>multistakeholder Internet cooperation.
>     This would appear to be similar to "forms and ways to achieve
> pluriparticipative international Internet governance"

If I had to define myself as an IUser, I would say that I am
multistakeholderist and anti-pluriparticipativist, as far as I
understand those terms. Also, I understand the concepts of the WSIS
and accept that one may lobby to refine a favorably brain washed
understanding (in keeping in mind the non-English binding versions)
but I have not the singlest idea of what "the community" may be
(except the USSH Inc.: the US StakeHolders Incorporated in Montevideo?).

A common polynym vocabulary would be of the essence for our global
world (or is it the total world? what is the adjective for "whole" as
in "the whole is larger than the sum of its parts"?)
This should be the first task for an international meeting.

>(2) They called for accelerating the globalization of ICANN and IANA
>functions, towards an environment in which all stakeholders,
>including all governments, participate on an equal footing.
>     This would appear to be similar to moving "ICANN away from
> unilateral oversight", as noted by Brenden.

Correct:

- What USSH wants for three decades (our 1984 opposing agreement, cf.
RFC 921) is the IANA under multistakeholder cooperation on an equal
footing for every government and ... US coordinated. You know centers
in LA and Turkey and Singapore. Everyone can participate ("Public
comment periods are provided before final standards approval and
adoption" ... by USSH without appeal procedure):
pluriparticipatism!=multistakeholderism !!!

- ITU wants every Telcos too within the equal footing. Never mind, in
case we really get a conflict, the real emergency back-up root is at
Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I am ready to the end of the years
old "IANA war": http://googliana.org.

- What we want is the IANA to be under concerted multistakeholdership
on an equal footing for everyone, including you and me.

>I imagine that both topics will enjoy significant discussion at the meeting.

Be sure discussions will start before the meeting. Actually, they
have started (http://bramsummit.org).
jfc