[governance] Does ICANN protect multistakeholderism?

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 04:08:12 EDT 2013

For me this has become the year when the issue of "veneered participation"
(see Richard Heeks' 1999 paper
http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/research/publications/wp/di/documents/di_wp04.pdf
)
has loomed particularly large. The offer of and insistence on
"participation" sounds more and more like the "bread and circuses" to keep
the masses happy. For this reason I belong to the cautious wait and see
group. Such a short time ago we learned that we have been comprehensively
betrayed. Isn't caution one of the lessons of betrayal?
Hoping that everyone within reach of the cyclone in India is safe.
Deirdre

On 13 October 2013 06:08, Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in> wrote:

> It seems that some or not quite as convinced as Norbert is that it does
> anymore:
>

> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/08/31/icanns-accountability-meltdown-a-four-part-series/
>
> Which explains the discomfort of some on the list with a letter being sent
> out before more details are available (though the lack of detail is not a
> concern to me).
>
> Thanks to friends who are active in ICANN for drawing my attention to this
> growing concern.
>
> Best,
> Anja
>
> --
> Dr. Anja Kovacs
> The Internet Democracy Project
>
> +91 9899028053 | @anjakovacs
> www.internetdemocracy.in

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979