[governance] ANSWER TO PROCEDURAL QUESTION Re: Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Oct 12 02:57:53 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Co-coordinators: Is is time to check rough consensus on the shorter
> version or not yet?

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

In the decision-making process outlined in the IGC Charter, the rough
consensus process is described as something to be used only if full
consensus cannot be reached, and only after it has been seriously
attempted to integrate differing views.

I don't think that it would be procedurally valid to try to apply
the rough consensus process right now.

What I would like to see in the current situation is a formal proposal,
posted in the “DMP}“ thread, from one of those who consider the shorter
version preferable.

Justfication for the proposed change (to totally replace the draft
under consideration in the formal IGC decision making process with a
specific shorter letter text) should please be included together with
the request for the change.

I'd follow that with a formal consensus call on the proposal to change
the text at the basis of the consensus process, as well as on the
proposal to accept the shorter version as final.

If the second aspect of that consensus call goes through unopposed,
we'll have a decision. Otherwise we'll need to make a serious attempt
to integrate the differing views that are posted during the consens
call timeframe. (As previously noted, we're going to have to operate
on a tight timeframe here, since the political window of opportunity
that we're seeking to use here has itself a tight timeframe. For this
reason I hereby repeat my request to all IGC members who care about
being able to participate in this decision-making process to please
check their mail at least every 12 hours.)

Greetings,
Norbert