[governance] DMP} Draft letter text - IGC consensus process

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Oct 12 02:27:39 EDT 2013

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:
[..]
> What I want is to speak the truth.
>
> As you yourself said above:
>
> > "It is exact that the summit was said to have been proposed by Fadi
> > and accepted by Dilma."

Let's use language that credits both ICANN and Brazil for the
initiative, and which mentions the government of Brazil in the more
prominent first spot.

Logically, saying “initiative of the government of Brazil and the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)” is exactly
as accurate as it is to put ICANN first, regardless of whose idea is
was initially.

I think that there are several good reasons for mentioning the
government of Brazil first:

* While the specific proposal of going forward by means of such an
  event has come from ICANN, overall what has set this whole thing in
  motion was the Brazilian president's speech at the UN GA.

* We're writing to the Brazilian government, which is the party that
  we as civil society need to communicate to in order to get included.
  There is no risk of anyone from the ICANN side doing anything to lock
  anyone out from this process. If civil society gets locked out, that
  will be an action of government bureaucrats who either have unhealthy
  connections to telecom business people with a pre-Internet mindset, or
  who have a pre-Internet telecom mindset themselves. We're seeking to
  prevent this by writing to someone with the power to prevent this from
  happening. It is IMO only polite to mention the addressee's role in
  the initiative first. If the letter is perceived as impolite or
  even offensive, which could easily happen if a non-government entity
  is mentioned more prominently or more respectfully than the
  governmental addressee of the letter, that's certainly make it less
  likely to achieve our goal.

* Ultimately what counts in moving this plan forward is the power
  to attract state actors to a high-level event. This power is in the
  hands of the Brazilian government. From this perspective, I think
  that the media reports are 100% accurate who put it as an initiative
  of the Brazilian president that she has decided to undertake on the
  basis of having informed herself well (which she did by means of
  talking with someone of great and widely recognized specific
  expertise in Internet governance).

Greetings,
Norbert