[governance] DMP} Draft letter text - IGC consensus process

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri Oct 11 15:35:26 EDT 2013

Quick edit of last paragraph.

Lee
From: governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org [governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] on behalf of Ian Peter [ian.peter at ianpeter.com]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2013 3:31 PM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [governance] DMP} Draft letter text - IGC consensus process

Far too long. If we are to send anything, here is a suggested shorter
version.

Your Excellency President Rousseff and other representatives of
the Brazilian government

We, the undersigned civil society organizations and individuals from
around the world, would like to express our appreciation and support
for the recently announced initiative of the government of Brazil,
along with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN), to “discuss the necessary changes to Internet governance” and
to restore trust in the Internet as the foundation of our global
information societies.

We consider these to be discussions of crucial importance for the
future of the development of the Internet in the global public interest
and for the shared benefit of the peoples of the world.

In view of the global importance of this subject, we look forward to contributing
to your initiative with specific and concrete proposals.

Here is the current content of the etherpad where informal drafting has
taken place:

--snip------------------------------------------------------------------
Letter from International Civil Society Organizations to the government
of Brazil in regard to the planned event on Internet governance in 2014

Your Excellency President Rousseff and other representatives of
the Brazilian government

We, the undersigned civil society organizations and individuals from
around the world, would like to express our appreciation and support
for the recently announced initiative of the government of Brazil,
along with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN), to “discuss the necessary changes to Internet governance” and
to restore trust in the Internet as the foundation of our global
information societies.

We consider these to be discussions of crucial importance for the
future of the development of the Internet in the global public interest
and for the shared benefit of the peoples of the world.

In view of the global importance of this subject, we look to civil
society being an equal partner to this dialogue at all stages from
agenda-setting onwards, and that the preparatory process for the
planned event be open and transparent and inclusive of all interested
parties.  This process should be particularly focused on realizing the
broadest base of shared benefits for the global community including
support for economic and social development, and innovation in pursuit
of the resolution of significant matters of broad impact and concern.

We further note with appreciation that Brazil has a strong tradition
and experience with effective partnerships with civil society on many
important domestic and global issues, including most notably for this
context the proposed Marco Civil for which we as international civil
society organizations and individuals provide our strong endorsement,
and the highly successful CGI model of Internet governance at the
national level. This event presents an outstanding opportunity to move
these experiences forward into the emerging area of global Internet
governance.  The discussions should be action-oriented, proposing
concrete measures to democratise and internationalise global Internet
governance.

We look forward to learning more details of the event as
they emerge and to contributing to this with specific and concrete
proposals which will be the subject of discussion during upcoming
meetings during the Bali IGF.

The undersigned civil society organisations from across the world offer
their support to your initiative and will look forward to partnering in
its various processes as they evolve.

We look forward to contributing to the successful development of the
global Internet governance event in 2014 and to the new mechanisms and
arrangements that develop from it.

Yours sincerely
--snap------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally would have preferred a simpler and shorter letter (and one
that is more specifically from IGC) but since this is what has come out
of an informal drafting process in which quite a few IGC members have
already participated, I feel that it may be best to take this as the
starting point for the IGC consensus process.

The idea here is that I hope that IGC can reach consensus (or at least
rough consensus) on either accepting this text as-is, or on some
some modified version is derived from this, and that we'd then put that
up also inviting civil society organizations as well as individuals to
endorse.

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

Please post any disagreements regarding the draft text together with a
specific proposal for a change and your justification for why you ask
for this change.

In view of the situation that the letter can be expected to be most
effective if it is ready soon, please give this process a high priority
and post change requests as quickly as reasonably possible. I have no
idea yet what will be appropriate in regard to consensus process
deadlines. Just in case we might end in an unpleasantly
time-constrained situation where tight deadlines are needed, I'd like
to request IGC members who strongly care about the specific details of
the outcome of this consensus process to check their IGC email at
least every twelve hours.

The other thread, in which I invited any fundamental objection to such a
letter to be voiced, is also still open.

Greetings,
Norbert

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org