[governance] LETTER DRAFTING Re: Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Oct 11 04:01:08 EDT 2013

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are we doing a letter or are we going to let BB do it and then say
> Y/N?

In my view there is a strong need to send a first letter very soon,
early next week (the week before the IGF).

My earlier posting in which I foresaw IGC participation in a BestBits
style sign-on letter process was based on the understanding that the
discussions on the BestBits list would lead to a letter in this
timeframe. At the time, that was a reasonable understanding of the
then-current state of discussion. The mood on the BestBits list seems
to have shifted since then, now the general feeling on the BestBits
list seems to be to use the in-person meeting in Bali to develop a
substantive shared understanding, and then send a letter based on that.
That is of course a reasonable plan to adopt for a group that is
anyway and since a long time planning to hold an in-person two days
gathering in Bali just a good week from now.

Hence I propose that IGC goes ahead and drafts and sends very soon a
first letter simply from IGC. This could IMO be a relatively simple
letter, expressing appreciation and interest and requesting that
international civil society not be left out from full and effective
participation in the planned event and its preparatory process.

I expect that BestBits will work out something more substantive, which
may include already some civil society input to the agenda setting
process. Things are totally in flux right now of course, but if that
takes place during the in-person BestBits meeting in Bali, and if the
usual BestBits approach is used to thereafter open the statements to
endorsements, I'd expect it to be a Y/N decision for IGC whether to
endorse that or not

Greetings,
Norbert