[governance] RE: [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Oct 11 01:32:05 EDT 2013

Well let then that be as it has to be... "There is /a tide/ in the
/affairs of men/. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune"...

Leadership doesnt come searching for you, you have to seize it....
President Rousseff was made, what would have perhaps been, somewhat a
regular kind of offer. She seized it with both her hands, even announced
the like month etc.. That is what gave it such a sudden high prominence,
and people are celebrating Rousseff, and somewhere, if it plays its
cards well, Brazil have now got an edge.... which it can use to further
its interest...

Civil society also is supposed to be representing some interests - real
interests of real people, who are most marginalised, and we have to take
our own responsibility seriously . We cannot be eternally paralysed,
which hurts these interests. If there are real differences of views,
well, that counts.... But a permanent simple wait-and-watch attitude
would do us no good...

Lets analyse what we have here.... Or what risks we run and what gains
we can make...  And others must also contribute what they think are
risks or advantages.... merely saying we are not sure yet, tells talk
more, do face to face and all,,,, Such stuff I think, just my own view,
is not the appropriate response.

ICANN, either on its own or tech community's behalf tries to cosy up to
the Brazilians (perhaps in anticipation of the new proposal for
democratising global IG that Rousseff said Brazil will soon present -
BTW, the day of the annual discussion on WSIS and IG issues in the UN GA
is 22nd Oct, but whatever...) . It proposes a real dialogue to see what
needs to be changed about the global governance of the Internet.
Rousseff immediately seizes the initiative, and even declares a possible
timeline, just like that, off-hand.... That is leadership material. That
is all that has happened, and that is all anyone knows has happened.
There is nothing hidden that civil society may suddenly become complicit
to if they support this proposal.

In supporting it, we would only be saying -
(1) yes, we agree that 'a real dialogue' on what needs to change in
global governance of the Internet should take place with some urgency,
(2) such a dialogue should take place in an open and not  a hidden manner,
(3) it is certainly encouraging that the initiative comes from one of
the key developing nations - the main votaries of a 'real change' - and
ICANN or the technical community - seen as the main symbol and defender
of status quo,and that
(4) we want civil society to be equally there in the middle of all
action, as the dialogue shapes and takes place...

Nothing more and nothing less. (If anything sinister about the proposed
meeting surfaces at any later time we can as publicly withdraw our
support, saying this is  not at all what we bargained for)

So either people here agree to the above, and we can write a statement,
or they dont... This is the time to do the statement, when people are
still wondering what kind of initiative it really is, and with what
implications. Throw in our hat - and well, kind of make this thing
somewhat trilateral from its current bi-lateral status (Brazil - ICANN
tech community) We may not succeed, but we must try. .... In a few
weeks, the initiative would already be too solidified in fact, or in
people's mind for civil society support to have this kind of impact....

Parminder