[bestbits] [governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 9 20:06:44 EDT 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:40 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com<mailto:jefsey at jefsey.com>> wrote:

At 16:58 09/10/2013, John Curran wrote:
> The Montevideo statement is not by the technical community but an attempt at radical monopoly by the statUS-quo technical bodies without consensus of their participants and members.

I can only speak for ARIN, but our member-elected Board approved the statement, as
it is based on positions that we have publicly taken previously and discussed with our
membership.

No doubt about it. However, that does not mean that your approving membership is to be identified with a so-called "technical community".

I did not identify them as the "technical community", but was only correcting your
insinuation that we lacked the support of our membership.

JFC - I'd be happy to discuss your concerns, but truly can't discern what exactly they are
from the above...  One point I do note is that you suggest that the signing organizations
are effectively "pulling your leg" in wanting to free ICANN from the USG.

I have no concerns.

I thought you were concerned about the authenticity of the call for accelerating the
globalization of ICANN and IANA functions, and I was only responding to such -
my error.  In any case, we are already seeing evidence of such acceleration, which
in and of itself makes the point.

Thanks!
/John