[bestbits] [governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 9 10:58:12 EDT 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 3:08 AM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> The Montevideo statement is not by the technical community but an attempt at radical monopoly by the statUS-quo technical bodies without consensus of their participants and members.

I can only speak for ARIN, but our member-elected Board approved the statement, as
it is based on positions that we have publicly taken previously and discussed with our
membership.

> Sorry, John, but who pays the piper calls the tune. The users pay. We will certainly hear you, but please do not pull our leg with Montevideo wanting to free ICANN from the USG. ICANN is "freely" committed to the same strategy and interests as the USG because "this is the best for the internet". BTW this may be partly true: the statUS-quo, that Montevideo builds upon, needs to transition but has to make it in good order. ICANN has shown many times it is not ready yet for such a change, even along its own rules (cf. ICP-3). Nor the NRO (when do you plan an ITU/NRO multistakeholder UN oversight of the world's digital addressing plans?).

JFC - I'd be happy to discuss your concerns, but truly can't discern what exactly they are
from the above...  One point I do note is that you suggest that the signing organizations
are effectively "pulling your leg" in wanting to free ICANN from the USG.

The signing organizations did call for "accelerating the globalization of ICANN and
IANA functions, towards an environment in which all stakeholders, including all
governments, participate on an equal footing."

I know this position to be true with respect to ARIN, and note that during the Feb 2011
NTIA IANA NOI, we (and the other RIRs) are on record with the general position that
"no government should have a special role in managing, regulating or supervising the IANA
functions." <http://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/NRO-comments-to-USDoC-NoI.pdf>

FYI,
/John

John Curran