[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 9 03:10:14 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 09 October 2013 11:22 AM, Rafik Dammak wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> I would like to get clarification from your side about this part
>

>         This board will replace the US government's current oversight
>         role over the technical and operational functions performed by
>         ICANN. The membership of this oversight board can be of a
>         techno-political nature, /i.e./consisting of people with
>         specialized expertise but who also have appropriate political
>         backing, ascertained through a democratic process. For
>         instance, the board can be made of 10/15 members, with 2/3
>         members each from five geographic regions (as understood in
>         the UN system). These members can perhaps be selected through
>         an appropriate process by the relevant technical standards
>         bodies and/or country domain name bodies of all the countries
>         of the respective region. (Other mechanisms for constituting
>         the techno-political membership of this board can also be
>         considered.)
>

> in particular the meaning of "appropriate political backing" and what
> kind of democratic process you are envisioning?

Hi Rafik,

This is left deliberately vague, to accommodate a series of possible
options. However, it is being made clear that we want both political
legitimacy and backing as well as technical expertise - without
possibility for political subversion (that is typically feared from a
multilateral UN kind of body) but also not left to be captured by anyone
with global political an economic muscle, which, excuse me to say,
technical bodies are prone to be captured by. Well, in any case,
oversight is a political or public policy function and not something
that technical community can be legitimacy be exercising by itself.
'Political' in the sense that every person has equal right to bring in
her/ his perceptive irrespective of their technical knowledge, which
brings the challenge of arriving at the highest public interest. .

One may look at some global standards bodies which consist of area
experts - coming often from established and relatively autonomous
institutions - but also having some kind/ level of political acceptance
in their respective countries etc.... As I said elsewhere, say half of
the members of this proposed new oversight body can be from regional
registries, and other half from country based technical institutions, by
rotation - numerous such possibilities exist.

parminder