Additonal issues RE: [governance] Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Oct 9 01:18:23 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 9:52 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 08/10/13 23:50, John Curran wrote:
>> Agreed. In fact, while I think that multistakeholder cooperation (meaning the ability of all parties to participate in an open and transparent manner) has worked very well for technical standards and related registry policy, it is not apparent that it suffices (at least unchanged) as we begin to look at the next stage of Internet cooperation.
>
> By the way John, can you clarify the intended meaning of the new phrase "Internet cooperation"?  Is it intended to be as more meaningful synonym for "enhanced cooperation [on Internet-related public policy issues]"?

It's meant in the plain meaning of the individual words - i.e. organizations cooperating
together on Internet matters.

> Note, I don't really have a problem with that, and in many ways it may be good to break away from the context of the Tunis Agenda in taking forward the discussion on enhanced/Internet cooperation.  But for now just seeking some insight into the reasoning behind it.

Use of specialized "terms of art" doesn't always improve communication,
(in fact, it often makes active participation less available to uninitiated...)

/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.   Disclaimers in this message are recursively disclaimed.