[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Oct 8 17:55:02 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question then is, signing the declaration is the output of the Montevideo, a process that's  is not itself realized equivalent to an IGF, then how is all this even legitimate. Remember the legitimate eG8 summit and passing all IG related discussions to its appropriate forum, the IGF which remains a weak and yet evolving multi-topic discussion and non-binding policy discourse space?

The Montevideo statement is just that, a statement signed by several
organizations involved in the Internet coordination and infrastructure.
It doesn't preclude others from making statements of their views, or
continuing the discussion at other forums, or completely ignoring it.

It is legitimate as an expression of views by the signing organizations;
nothing more and nothing less.  The fact that I can read your email at
all is a consequence of the success of those organizations, but past
performance is not an indication of future success.

> The discussion on ICANN and its internationalization is happening outside the USG and ICANN itself.

There's been quite a few discussions occurring around the globe (both
within the US and outside) on Internet cooperation, governance, and
related topics (e're going to have another round of them in Bali in
just a week or so...)

> There is no USG call to world governments on its own nor at the UN level that may be leading a multilateral treaty for the internationalization of ICANN.

It is not apparent that a "multilateral treaty" is necessarily the
best path forward, but in any case, it is first necessary to raise
awareness that the current arrangement of oversight should evolve
from the current unique USG role.  That might be perfect obvious
to those on this list, but is further advanced among those not aware
by the various Internet organizations making the Montevideo statement
which encourages change in this area.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  No treaty organizations were created via
              this email.