AW: [governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Oct 8 10:51:31 EDT 2013

Parminder:

The plain fact is that in a socio political space no change takes place if we wait for every every entity to agree completely. So we can wait eternally for the full consensus to emerge and the status quo can meanwhile be. Public interest actors can still agree - as they do often in terms of global treaties etc - because of some genuine give and take involved, and at other times a leap of collective faith in global public interest....But when some private interest actors - who by definition look at narrow, relatively short term interest -  are also prominently lined up as essential parties to the sought for consensus, that is a pretty impossible task. A good recipe however to keep the status quo going.

Wolfgang:

This is not true. 2013 looks very different from 2005. Did you look, just to take one example from the ICANN story,  into the ATRT and the other AoC Review Processes? This is far away from the Status quo we had 2005 or even 2009. This multistakeholder oversight mechanism (with a Chinese Vice Minister as a member in the ATRT team) is still in its infant stage and needs a lot of enhancement and improvement, but it is the right way forward to allow governmental and non-governmental stakeholders - on an equal footing - to keep ICANN acountable to the global community and in line with public policy needs. The situation is far from perfect and it needs more improvements (as the indicated globalization of ICANN and IANA functions). But once again, 2013 is very different from 2005. And I expect that 2020 will be very different from 2013.

And for the broader IG Ecosystem: In 2005 or 2009 we had not such a discussion on IG principles as we have today. Now we have not so many projects (including proposals by IBSA, OECD, OSCE, CoE, Shanghai, London, GNI, APC, I* and others). What I would be interested is how we could go beyond this one-stakeholder and regional statements of IG principles an globalize and multistakholderise the debate on IG principles. The Brazilian president pushed this discusison another step forward and we should use (in Bali) this window of opportunity to kick start a process towards a multistakeholoder "Framework of Commitments" on IG principles where all governmental and all non-governmental stakeholders are participate on an equal footing. We need to be creative and have to "invent innovations" in global policy making. Just to send complicated and controversial issues back to a UN Committee (or the G 20) won´t work. You can not settle 21st century problems with the instruments of the 19th or 20th century.