[governance] Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 05:22:33 EDT 2013

Hi Adam,

I do not think the Montevideo declaration addresses the issue of new cables.

One of the direct consequences of the NSA revelations is the growing call
for "data sovereignty", ie the required in-country location of data about
citizens of that country. While it seems to make sense at first glance, the
cumulative result of every country adopting such a position will be the
proliferation of mirror databases, national clouds and most likely
incompatible national legislations. This is a potential death spell for
global cross-border clouds, which is actually bad for developing countries
as well.

In that regard, the actions by the NSA are not only outrageous but
potentially triggering unintended consequences that will be detrimental to
the very development of the network as a global, trusted infrastructure.
Hence the connection to fragmentation, I suppose.

By contrast, the proliferation of additional submarine cables and Internet
exchange points is actually a potential positive outcome of these
revelations.

Best

B.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I would like to understand the part "Internet fragmentation" when it's
> included in the same paragraph as the sentence about "monitoring and
> surveillance".
>
> Internet fragmentation is bad.  Monitoring and surveillance is bad.  Think
> that's clear.
>
> But, by including the two statements in the same paragraph, rather than as
> separate, are the organizations suggesting that recent proposals to build
> new infrastructure that avoids sending traffic via the U.S. and avoids U.S.
> monitoring and surveillance risks Internet fragmentation?
>
> Asking because that was the U.S. spin in response to proposals for such
> new infrastructure; FUD that new submarine cables would cause balkanization
> (which they would not of course).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> (FUD: fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order
> to put a competitor at a disadvantage.)
>

> On Oct 8, 2013, at 5:15 AM, John Curran wrote:
>
> > <
> http://www.internetsociety.org/news/montevideo-statement-future-internet-cooperation
> >

> > FYI,
> > /John

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Internet & Jurisdiction Project Director, International Diplomatic Academy (
www.internetjurisdiction.net)
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")