[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 8 02:43:37 EDT 2013

Dear Ian

We should always work closely with all communities - and technical
community is our engineers, we cant but work with them. However, I am
not so convinced that the Montevideo statements means much, if anything
at all..... We must place it in the context that, since the world is
watching,  it is practically impossible for the so called defenders of
the Internet to say absolutely nothing about the NSA affairs which has
so badly wrecked public confidence in the Internet worldwide. The
statement must, therefore, be evaluated on the criterion of whether it
went beyond that was needed to basically manage public perception and
discontent.... (BTW, it is  a pity that they shied away from mentioning
NSA, or even the US, by name, a courtesy which I am sure wont be
extended to another nation, seeing the extent of the crime.)

You say that the part "in truly substantial ways" makes the statement as
really serious.... I would take it to be that - really serious - if they
had but mentioned one clear instance of what would be such a "truly
substantial way". Even if it was perhaps not possible for all the
current signatories to sign off on any "real proposal" right away, can
anyone here who comes close to being one among many representatives of
the technical community propose an example of any such "truly
substantial" change that technical community is now willing to consider,
post NSA/ Snowden.

**Most importantly**, if indeed they really seek any "truly substantial"
change/evolution of current mechanisms why did they not say so in their
recent response to the questionnaire of the Working Group on Enhanced
Cooperation, which inter alia asks them this precise question. In fact
the question on the needed "most appropriate mechanisms" has a specific
sub question on technical management aspect of global IG. At least three
of the signatories to the Montevedio statement send their responses to
the questionnaire - ICANN, ARIN and LACNIC. There is no indication at
all in their responses to the questionnaire that they seek any "truly
substantial" evolution anywhere. Everything of the status quo appears to
them pretty all right.

In the circumstances, would one be amiss is considering this Montevideo
statement as largely being merely for public consumption, while the
views of the same organisations at places where such views really matter
are rather different.

BTW, responses to WGEC questionaire can be seen at
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=396 .
Incidentally, IT for Change's responses are missing from the
compilation. So also I think APC's, and therefore there may be even some
more missing here.

parminder