[governance] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 16:59:05 EST 2013

The HLLM is convened by the ICANN CEO who has control over whom he invites. It is unclear whether ICANN intends to have civil society represented, that is those from outside the ICANN community. Earlier messages from William Drake to this list suggested that only one slot was open even though some pushed for two slots. Some civil society Organizations demanded inclusion despite not being involved within the ICANN community.

Any discussion in global circles purporting to be Multi stakeholder must also to some degree represent the community including those outside of ICANN. ICANN espouses Accountability and Transparency and takes great pride in doing so. I suspect that the At Large community within ICANN will be filling one civil society slot and the other tossed to us. The seats may already be filled.

However, Robin from ICANN's Non Commercial Stakeholder Group which is the arm in ICANN that carries civil society voices has been liaising with ICANN CEO.

The reality is that they may even reject both the names that was furnished to them. The ratio of public sector, private sector and civil society is not balanced as it currently is.

There were many names for consideration but after careful dialogue amongst the different groups, two names that received overwhelming support were Anriette and Milton. They will steward the views of global civil society as they dialogue. we wish them well should they choose to accept the responsibility.

Whilst this HLLM is underway, what are your thoughts about potentially convening a High Level Meeting where we can have more diverse inclusion of civil society, business constituency, technical constituency, governments and intergovernmental organisations etc. If there is interest, it could be facilitated by a widely respected neutral facilitator like Jovan Kurbalija of Diplo Foundation.

The meeting could be jointly convened by an organising committee that represents civil society, technical community, business community, governments etc. I am aware that the HLLM is "ICANN owned" and driven. If they only give us one seat or two to comfort us, we should seriously consider the possibilities of organising our own High Level Meeting that is Inclusive, Collaborative and allows for dynamic discussion to take place.  In fairness to ICANN, the HLLM is part of an internal process designed to discuss strategies pertaining to ICANN's mandate.

If there is appetite to do this, we can certainly consider working towards achieving this prior to Brazil. This does not have to be a complex affair but a simple meeting that can be globally streamed into where there is a social media strategy to monitor the input and more importantly where views can be heard. In turn, this can be consolidated for retroactive engagement with communities on the ground until we have a sound document that is both grassroots and community driven. I believe that amongst the civil society organizations, we are networked enough to pull this off.

Alternatively another model could be used where we keep the discussions regionally and allow for the dialogue to take place in each region.

Some of the discussions are important to have but I do not see why we should be hurried by the Brazilian timeline. This is not to say that the IGC will not be contributing to the discussions as we will. There are clearly many concerns that the wider community has and these issues need to be aired in relevant and appropriate forums.

In the not too distant future, the IGC will be invited to start preparing its submissions for Brazil on wide and diverse areas pertaining to Internet Governance.

Keep watching the space.

Kind Regards,
Sala

Sent from my iPad