[governance] Re: [bestbits] Formation of a joint steering Committee - as received

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Nov 29 08:14:04 EST 2013

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2013, at 8:25 pm, Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in>
> wrote:
>
> > To avoid confusion, can we maybe rename the Joint Steering
> > Committee into the Joint Coordination Committee? Seems to fit more
> > closely with its purpose.
>

> I still like nominating committee, but coordination committee is also
> fine.

I think that "coordination committee" is a much better name because it
avoids confusion with the NomCom process.

That said, I would reiterate my proposal that this joint committee
could proceed to organize a Joint NomCom.

There's this unfortunate tendency of selection tasks to come up so
suddenly that there is not enough time to start setting up a NomCom
then. So why not organize a Joint NomCom process so that there will
always be a NomCom ready to work on whatever selection task may come
up? Each NomCom's mandate could be say for all selection tasks that come
up during a two months window starting from the day that that NomCom
first starts on something. Those two months would be enough time to
have another NomCom ready at the end of those two months.

Greetings,
Norbert