[governance] Inter-stakeholder issues in a multi-stakeholder environment

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 07:27:41 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Deirdre Williams <
williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:

> I began this message 12 days ago in response to a thread started by
> Michael Gurstein
> Let's Get Real Folks--Re: [governance] Re: [bestbits] DISCLOSURE REQUEST
> Re: Funding Available for Strengthening Civil Society
> I gave up. Now I am encouraged to try again by this new thread
> Re: [governance] Inter-stakeholder issues in a multi-stakeholder
> environment
> begun by George Sadowsky.
>
> Is there any way to shift the focus from the people to the issues?
> In the final analysis everyone belongs to civil society. That point was
> made by a representative of a local telecommunications company at a recent
> workshop on IXPs held in Saint Lucia. As he said, his children also query
> the speed of the Internet at home when they have to do their homework. The
> only people excluded from civil society are incarcerated prisoners, and
> that also is a statement that can be questioned. If I understand him
> correctly George Sadowsky is making the same point. Civil society is us -
> all of us.

Sure! We may declare everybody is CS and expect any institutional policy
process to open mike to whoever walks in and requests to speak as CS. From
my part, I was working on the basis of assumptions I thought were widely
recognized as part of the current landscape --and even an inevitable part.
If we want to talk about _multistakeholder_ processes, then we cannot but
recognize multiple stakeholders, thus boundaries. If we have set up IGC as
a membership structure, then we have necessarily identified criteria for
membership, thus boundaries. Mine was an attempt to clarify and even extend
those inevitable boundaries (based on our operating assumptions); I didn't
participate in creating them and am not necessarily advocating for
maintaining or reinforcing them. I can content myself with any other viable
way to make my voice and voices of any people with legitimate concerns
heard and taken into account.
I think I have said all what I had to say on this topic.
Thanks,

Mawaki