[governance] Former FCC commissioner Michael Copps on The National Security-Communications Industry Complex

Devon Blake devonrb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:55:15 EST 2013

Hi Tom,
"

*Civil society must acknowledge that the nation-state has a vital role in
matters of security. And we must accept that an institutional aversion to
failure in these matters is natural. With this awareness we can ask that
nation-state participants in multistakeholder talks present a "statement of
needs." This statement should present in general scope, and as much detail
as practicable, the nature of relationships sought by government to meet
these needs."*

I like this approach. There has to be some understanding of the
difficulties faced the world over by Governments, they have primary
responsibility for a nation's health, education and welfare and in no
lesser way the security of their people, infrastructure, and capital.
There have to be strategies to combat the myriad of security issues that
face both Governments and us the citizens. Always there will be the need
for balance between security and personal privacy.

As natural as electricity finding the path with least resistance, according
the this article, Governments have been utilizing the conglomerates with
large databases of personal information and the ability to track individual
activities, especially within the cyber environment to provide them with
raw data for their intelligence analyses, and to inform their various
Government's policy decisions.

The inherent danger in this of course is the need for reciprocity.
Conglomerates are profit centered so it is clear their payback from
government will be any perks, allowances, incentives or competitive
intelligence that will improve their bottom line. Hence the
long-term  negative impacts warned about by Ike and now realized in our
day. Governments in bed with conglomerates in secret, is a clear recipe for
inequality, injustice, inequity and certainly not a level playing field for
the ordinary citizen. The loss of privacy therefore just adds painful
stings to the wounds our people face.

Civil Society is supposed to be the structure through which the ordinary
citizen's voice can be heard in the hallowed halls of exalted policy
decision making. I have read and listened to dialogues, speeches, position
papers, conventions, and treaties. I am often left wondering how much of
these would the ordinary citizen understand and could empathise with. Is it
that there is a different language for civil society leaders use to speak
on behalf of their constituencies?

So there seems to be a disconnect between the structures and
administrations that represent our interests and  an understanding of what
our real needs are. There has to be a concerted effort to have direct
contact between state and non-state actors, especially now that we can
reach over 40% of the populations via the internet, and the real-time
nature of the information derived therefrom.

If not the gulf will continue to widen between the haves and the have nots,
and the top of the wealth pyramid will continue to have smaller angles even
as the base gets wider.

Devon

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt
<toml at communisphere.com>wrote:

>  Folks,
>
> Below is an insightful article by former FCC Commissioner Michael Copps<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Copps>on his experiences with national security interests while at the FCC.
> Copps' experiences led me to ponder how civil society might enter into a
> trusting multistakeholder negotiation knowing of these close relationships
> between government and industry. Here's one approach.
>
> Civil society must acknowledge that the nation-state has a vital role in
> matters of security. And we must accept that an institutional aversion to
> failure in these matters is natural.
>
> With this awareness we can ask that nation-state participants in
> multistakeholder talks present a "statement of needs." This statement
> should present in general scope, and as much detail as practicable, the
> nature of relationships sought by government to meet these needs.
>
> Working from these understandings civil society can enter into a trusting
> relationship in Brazil and elsewhere.
>
> Tom Lowenhaupt
>

>  Click here to view this message on the web.<http://benton.org/node/168060?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email>
>  [image: Syndicate content]<http://benton.org/headlines/feed?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email> [image:
> Twitter]<http://twitter.com/benton_fdn?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email> [image:
> Facebook icon]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Benton-Foundation/49570099560?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email> [image:
> Benton icon]<http://benton.org/?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email>
>
> [*The Benton Foundation publishes articles penned by Commissioner Copps
> each month for our Digital Beat Blog
> <http://benton.org/blog?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email>.*
> ]
>
> *The Long Arm of the National Security-Communications Industry Complex*
>
> This is a story about more than just the national security implications of
> government surveillance, but it begins there.
>
> The New York Times reported in a front page story<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/us/cia-is-said-to-pay-att-for-call-data.html?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email>earlier this month that the Central
> Intelligence Agency<https://www.cia.gov/index.html?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email>is paying AT&T in excess of $10 million annually for information from the
> company’s telephone records, including the international calls of U.S.
> citizens. The article pointed out that this work "is conducted under a
> voluntary contract, not under subpoenas or court orders compelling the
> company to participate, according to officials." The story adds yet another
> [...]

Devon Blake
ICT and Development Consultant
29 Dominica Drive
Kgn 5
,Phone: Office 876-968-4534, Mobile, 876-483-2632

To be kind, To be helpful, To network
*Earthwise ... For Life!*