[governance] Networkworld: ICANN Sets Up A Coalition to address new Internet governance challenges

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Thu Nov 21 06:23:42 EST 2013

On 11/21/2013 05:08 AM, Daniel Pimienta wrote:

>> Funding an organization that is entirely at cross purposes policy
>> wise with them, and/or seems to feel IG is best served by attacking
>> ICANN at every opportunity doesn't appear to make as much sense as it
>> should.
> Suresh, you are just giving arguments to whoever ask for scrutiny on
> how the funding flows.. :-)
> Organizations to serve public matters are not supposed anyway to
> discriminate the public in function of such arguments!

Suresh, thanks for your mail from me as well... You have clearly
expressed the very concerns some of us on the list have had regarding
funding...  That who pays the piper should call (or calls) the tune...

Norbert's very pertinent questions may have been evaded, but by avoiding
the difficult questions on funding transparency, we may be further
undermining CS.

When as a response to Norbert, some have said 'this issue is important,
but now is not the time...' I feel concerned that this may be seen as  a
tactic to avoid/evade scrutiny, (which it may very well not be).

If now is not the time, when is the time?  We will only get closer to
the Brazil meet, so it will only get more and more 'difficult' or
'inconvenient' to ask these questions and there is a big danger there -
Governments have political power, business sector has market/economic
power. CS has neither - and perhaps can lay claim only to some kind of
moral power.... by being able to imagine the normative and persuading
the other sectors towards that.

If we are afraid to ask tough questions of ourselves, we loose the
authority to ask others the same

regards
Guru