[governance] civil society role in Brazil meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 20 02:08:01 EST 2013

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 11:24 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dear All
>
>     There are strong indications from all round that Brazil gov may
>     just be taking the easy expedient to channelise non gov
>     participation in the Brazil meeting through the 1net structure....
>
> Sala: This is contrary to what I have been hearing from various
> subscribers and members of the IGC and even others within other civil
> society organisations. My sensing is that there is desire to
> collaborate and engage. This is obvious from the numbers that have
> subscribed to the mailing list and also from corridor discussions and
> talks via email or skpe. Please remember that in Bali, we did not
> collectively agree that we would not engage, it was supposed to be a
> strategy meeting. We can very easily take a poll on the matter-

We need to seriously separate two different issues

1. Having CS representation for a role in Brazil meeting being
channelled/ fronted by 1net
2. Having a lateral engagement with 1net, for a purpose of dialogue and
so on

My response to 1 above is *no* and to 2 above is *yes*.

So please indicate responses to 1 and 2 separately.... We have kept up
this confusion for more than a month now. When at Bali i asked for an
'independent' CS liason to Brazil meeting, Wolfgang propositioned, in my
view, very much out of context, that 'independent' is not good and we
should work together. Such a confusion is carrying on, effectively
paralysing us, and making us completely ineffective.

Sala, please mention your response to 1 and 2 above separately... I
gather from your emails below that your response to both is yes... If
so, that is a clear view. Mine is as indicated above... And my
impression from emails and f2f discussions among IGC and BB members has
been that while they are fine to do 2 above the overwhelming response to
1 above is negative.... But happy for people to state their views now...
And as you suggest, yes we can have a poll... but seperately on 1 and 2...

parminder