[governance] civil society role in Brazil meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 19 09:35:47 EST 2013

Dear All

There are strong indications from all round that Brazil gov may just be
taking the easy expedient to channelise non gov participation in the
Brazil meeting through the 1net structure.... And we know that there was
overwhelming feeling among civil society that this should not be
allowed, and we should have a direct liason. (Civil society outside the
active IG kind is even more strongly of this view). Are we know willing
to come out of our paralysis?

Lets write a short and succinct letter that we want direct and
independent liason to the Brazil meeting and want to independently
present our liasons directly accountable to us and not through the 1net
or whatever...And just forward the four Brazilain names we have as our
liasons... We do not have to change/ expand that liason structure.
Havent the time for that. (and if some people insist, we can always do
it a bit later). The following is a quick text suggestion...

    We of the undersigned civil society networks and groups are pleased
    to note that Brazil has made a formal announcement of a
    ............. (put the official name of the meeting here) . We are
    happy to help the government of Brazil organise this meeting and
    take it to a successful conclusion.  We have chosen the below
    mentioned four persons to be our liason to the Brazilian government
    and also to be put on any steering committee that may be set up.

    ...... the names of our four Brazilian liasons

    Please include our above representatives in all meetings, formal
    presentations etc that will henceforth take place regarding the
    proposed multistakeholder meeting on the future of the Internet.....
    We will route our inputs to the organisation of this meeting through
    these reps...

    Signed

(ends)

parminder