[governance] URGENT Brazil Conference on Internet Governance #Details #Strategy URGENT CALL FOR COMMENTS

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:01:20 EST 2013

Dear IGC,

Greetings from Buenos Aires! As you know a note went out this morning and
you can read the email below. In essence the model for engagement *had
already been decided *by the Government of Brazil and ICANN, some of the I
stars until this was released were also surprised that the model for
engagement* had already been developed* without discussion within the
global Internet Governance community.

Regardless of whether this was developed by Brazil nor ICANN, it is simply
unacceptable and lacks the necessary legitimacy and openness and
transparency that is warranted of anyone desiring to create a space to have
multistakeholder dialogue on Internet Governance. Having the form but
lacking the spirit and legitimacy is like having token participation. To
this end, it becomes expedient that we as the IGC need to move quickly to
finalise the letter that global civil society will send out to the
Government of Brazil now that we have full and better details.

*Background About the I star Group*

This was formed to essentially be a round table where those that come
around it come as equals and feed into the process of selecting their
representatives to the organising committee and Agenda of the Meeting in
Brazil. The High Level Panel that was published yesterday is separate from
the I star although there are some who are part of the I star like ICANN
and ISOC *which includes IETF, IAB etc. Personally, I feel that the
mechanism in which the bottom up process for planning and giving input has
effectively hijacked the good faith discussions with ICANN CEO in Bali.

It is important to distinguish at this stage that the organisation of the
High Level Panel is separate and divorced from the I star. The steering
committee at this stage will hold the power and discretion to accept and
receive proposals and influence the Agenda. As global civil society, we
should not only be submitting proposals but we should as we unequivocally
mentioned in Bali be influencing the Agenda. Clearly from the nature of the
planning committee that has already put in place the rules for engagement
and ruled on content and effectively dictating the Agenda. This is simply
NOT multistakeholder, no matter how much it gets dressed up.It may have
components of MS but for legitimacy within a global landscape it lacks
legitimacy.

We were told in Bali that the details were vague but from the extensive
details about the model for engagement clearly both Brazil and ICANN held
out on us.

Anything less is simply not acceptable. This gives us two options>

1. That we demand space in the Steering Committee not as separate civil
society organisations but as a single coherent voice into the process and
this is where the letter that was drafted prior to Bali becomes relevant
and needful,
2.That the joint civil society organisations jointly issue a Press Release
and send to all Media Networks globally and we have many journalists on
this list who can help accelerate this process.
3.That global civil society organisation accelerate the discussions that
have already been taking place off list to work on jointly framing the
discussions and preparing our position papers before March 1, 2014
following which there will be community consultation and proposal
consolidation.

*Reasons Why We should Engage with I star group*

There will be certain positions where we will need alliances on and it does
not make sense to burn bridges but rather to engage and do so intelligently
with wisdom. Even if there is an appearance of bad faith in some quarters
that should not stop up from behaving with integrity, character and in good
faith.

Values command the respect of our colleagues as engagement and negotiations
will play out not just in 2014 but beyond. Because of this, we should not
isolate ourselves but dialogue and engage. My advice would be to come to
the table in the I star engagement and lend our voice as civil society. To
lend our voices as civil society, we need to engage with all these
stakeholders. The key thing here is to ENGAGE. There will be certain
positions that we will need our alliances to agree on, in terms of key
positions on things like the preservation of an open and free internet as
mandated by our Charter.

*Recommendations for the IGC*

1.Start preparing proposals for the Conference and we need to submit it on
March 1, 2014. The email below shows that there will be a 60 day period for
community consultation and proposal consolidation prior to the Conference
in late April/early May 2014 . A special mailing list can be created within
the IGC that is closed where we will invite people to subscribe and the
list will be unnaccessible until full discussions have been aired out. The
work will be consolidated, synthesised, summarised and then put to the the
IGC mailing list for calls for consensus before it is submitted.
2.That civil society globally also monitors the Plenipot preparation
meetings taking place globally and focus all our energy into preparations
for Brazil. We should also prepare to monitor discussions in Busan, Korea.
3.That civil society needs to also consider that 89 countries who signed
the Seoul Framework will be in the Hague next year and as such this could
shift the landscape of things to greater demands for control by governments
that could just as easily affect internet governance.

On a macro scale, I would encourage civil society groups to start thinking
about the critical issues or agenda that should be considered by the
community not only for Brazil but for broader engagement in other key
forums coming up.
Let me have your thoughts please.

Warm Regards,
Sala in my personal capacity