[governance] Re: [bestbits] [bit of news] on Brazilian announcement for the Summit

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 03:35:14 EST 2013

Good day (it's a new day here) and peace be upon you all (I'm told today is
a holiday and from all the indications I've seen, i.e. text messages from
mobile operators, it seems it is Peace Day. But if I got it wrong, then
regardless...)

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> Good point, the MSism of Geneva is not the same multi-stakholderism of
> >> the T&A (tho there are silos inside ICANN, which is regrettable and
> >> hopefully fixable).  I'm not sure we can fix the silos in Geneva.  In
> >> the IETF and the RIR system for example, everyone shows up (on lists
> >> or in person) as themselves, not as part of an artificial grouping.
> >> It is more of an egalitarian meritocracy, where everyone has time at
> >> the microphone (or on unmoderated lists) to pitch defend or critique
> >> ideas/policies/standards.
> >>

> >>  My understanding so far of
> concerned
> >>
> >> There is protocol and standards making and other policy processes, but
> >> the T&A folk are largely administrative. There is of course research
> >> and some networks being run, but the vast majority of Internetworks
> >> are run by PS and some gov folks.  Coordination, collaboration and
> >> communication are a big part of what the T&A do, but they are largely
> >> administrative.  You should go to an AFRINIC meeting, it would be
> >> highly instructive!
> >

> > Sounds to me like you and I discussed this once... like we both were at
> the
> > Maputo meeting back in 2004? or 03?
>  but didn't meet. Rings a bell?
>
> Maputo, 2005. Champions League Final week.
>
> Oh now, my memory is not even that good anymore!... At least as far as
calendar goes.
Then that was within a couple of months of me leaving Maputo where I was
stationed for 2.5 years. I cannot afford out-of-pocket expenses for
traveling to those meetings, and have been able to attend only the ones
that were held in the country I happened to be staying in at the time
(except for ICANN when I was on the GNSO council on behalf of NCUC,
sponsored by the latter for most travels and by ICANN for a couple... So
that was for the acknowledgement section.)

Talking about building bridges, at the Abidjan meeting I intend to seek a
more comprehensive conversation with Adiel (the AFRINIC Chief Exec) about
how we can work together and do better for breeding (or maybe more modestly
motivating or showing the way to) the next generation of social scientists
in Africa to do research using Internet technical data available in and on
the region. I'm not talking about one isolated researcher trying to get
data, which can most probably be done over the net, but about creating the
cultural and institutional pattern of associating the two communities with
the specific intent to produce research outputs publishable in academic
peer reviewed journals. This will entail various forms or levels of
collaboration, including co-authorship if relevant.

(Please don't tell me to join Afrinic policy list, because I'm already
there. Will discuss my feedback on that with them, too.)

Thanks Suresh for helping with the acronym and for your understanding.

Best,

Mawaki