[governance] Re: [bestbits] [bit of news] on Brazilian announcement for the Summit

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 13 23:00:59 EST 2013

On Wednesday 13 November 2013 08:55 PM, Joana Varon wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> More from the field:
>
> Brazilian government (or the national steering committee coordinating
> the summit) have a meeting today afternoon with the technical
> community (Icann and Isoc at least) to coordinate 0.o and shall
> release more info about the Summit soon. I've just written an email to
> the national steering committee requesting more info and inclusiveness
> for the liasons. From civil society, only Glaser (cgi.br
> <http://cgi.br>), and maybe Carlos (?), will be there.
>
> Also, Minister of Communications, Paulo Bernardo is going for the
> first time to Icann and have a 45min slot in the program (attached).
>
> Once again, as suggested by Matthew, I do believe a formal letter
> nominating and explaining our role as liasons, and not
> representatives, for International Civil Society for information
> regarding the Summit will be good to legitimate and help our job here.

A formal letter naming our liaisons and making it clear that global
civil society would want to use this mechanism to coordinate its role in
the proposed Brazil meeting and not go through 1net or any other
tehcnical community led interface is of the highest priority at this
stage. Dont want to get into I-told-you-so mode, but I have been
insisting that we did that first and in clear terms since our earliest
meetings in Bali. If we have got such a communication through in clear
terms, maybe our four reps would have been there at the above meeting.
At least if they werent invited we could have protested...

It is apparent that in some way Brazil gov is going into this in a kind
of bilateral mode with the technical community.

Let various coordinators. form IGC, BB, IRP and if needed NCUC simply
write out a letter to the above intent and purpose. Dont even need to
share it with the whole group and take its acceptance it we are only
mentioning these two things (1) fact that CS wants independent presence
and role, and (2) names of the 4 liasons. Preferably the letter shd go
*today*.

(I remember that when the letter was being drafted the last time, we got
into this argument of what does 'independent' means for a CS role... and
the needed text could not go in. Need to keep things within contexts in
our discussions I think )

parminder