[governance] Sacrificing the ICANN Will Not Be Enough for the U, etc.

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:31:38 EST 2013

> Are you going to attend on behalf of CS?
> jfc
>
> Hi JFC,

 I will only use my hat as co-coordinator if there is a session on Internet
Governance during the ICANN meeting and will not necessarily speak on an
issue for the IGC unless there is legitimacy or consensus carried out to
relay a position.

 I am an elected member into the ALAC from the Asian Australian Pacific
Regional At Large Organisation  and will conclude my term in the ALAC at
the end of ICANN 48.It is this hat that I am going in. People differ on
this lists in terms of participating versus not participating in ICANN and
that is freedom of choice. For me *my personal choice *was carefully made
and at first I even resisted the idea but the thought that there was policy
and series of policies being developed that affected a vast communities
around the world and if I did not come to the table, cold be left out of
the discussions and considerations.

If you ask anyone on the ALAC, or in the community, I have never minced my
sense of independence and contributions have been made on what I perceive
or could reasonably forecast would affect communities in underserved
regions. The fact remains that ICANN is mandated to develop policies
concerning and affecting a core part of critical internet infrastructure
and I certainly want to be at the table giving my perspective irrespective
of the "politicization". Personally, I feel that whilst the
"politicization" is taking place, of greater impact are the policies being
developed.

What I love about ICANN is that they are open to hearing and receiving
input about the policy processes or technical aspects from all who will
come to the table, even cynics and critics and it will be factored into the
discussions and recorded or narrated either through transcripts. But if we
do not come to the table, who then will lend our voice. This often means
poring over archived documents, slaving over policy documents, archived
email records, attending 2am - 5am and sometimes till 6am teleconference
calls (which I do not get paid to do). I personally find myself looking out
for what will impact my own communities within the Pacific and being a
bridge by highlighting what I perceive to be critical issues that deserve
input and comments.

Whilst civil society remains divided on whether or not to participate in
certain forums, for people who come from communities like mine where if we
don't keep up we get left behind. Whilst we are on politicization, if you
recall the video that Gurstein sent on the IETF88, when Carpenter was
sharing about the history of the RFCs on Surveillance, Security etc, he had
mentioned that it was Governments who were objecting to the nature of some
the debates and discussions going on because it would impede on their
surveillance mechanisms. This is one of the core reasons why I do not
believe that Governments or regulators should encroach on the development
of technical standards and core operational matters pertaining to the
Internet. However, on the same note, I also feel that there is room for
improvement on things like SSAC within ICANN where there should be more
inclusion from other countries and not just a closed circle.

Hope this helps.

Sala