[governance] Re: WGEC Meeting (Currently Underway) #WGEC

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 06:52:04 EST 2013

Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to wish all the CS WGEC members best of luck in their meetings and deliberations.

Here are some personal views. Noting para 19 of the Secretary General's 2011 on Enhanced Cooperation on Public Policy Issues pertaining to the Internet, see: http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/a66d77_en.pdf where it states that the Tunis Agenda "recognizes the need for enhanced cooperation in Internet Related international public policy making but not in the day to day operational and technical matters that do not have an impact on international public policy issues."

Today as the WGEC continues its discussions, there is a notable shift. The global community appears to have mixed reactions with the Tunis Agenda and its relevance. The NRO facilitated a Workshop [No. 145] at the IGF recently on Enhanced Cooperation where civil society, technical community, private sector, intergovernmental representatives showed practical examples of enhanced cooperation. Suffice to say there are many practical examples of enhanced cooperation, we only need to dialogue with each other and across communities and constituencies to find out.

Of greater concern to me is that civil society holistically as it funnels through appointments to the MAG, CSTD needs to coordinate a framework for selection. No person should arbitrarily decide the process of selection without discussion with the coalition of stakeholders within civil society. This framework should be tight and representatives to the MAG, CSTD should be held accountable to all not just their flavour of the month group. As we prepare to make an announcement soon for calls for NomCom volunteers for MAG selection, we will also revisit and make calls for noteworthy remarks of fantastic work done and/or issues that people may have with current MAG representatives from civil society.

Kind Regards,
Sala

Sent from my iPad