[governance] The Value of Net Neutrality Was:Re:[bestbits] Marco Civil vote posponed !

Luca Belli lucabelli at hotmail.it
Wed Nov 6 04:05:22 EST 2013

Dear all,

As stressed
by Louis, Network Neutrality is a thorny and multifaceted issue.

The NN
debate is gaining great political momentum because it has obvious consequences
on media (de)centralisation and therefore on media control. One of the points
of rough consensus that clearly emerged during IGF workshop 340 “Network
Neutrality: from Architecture to Norms” is that the protection of NN has direct
consequences on the full enjoyment of end-users’ human rights, on media
pluralism and on consumers’ rights. And these consequences are particularly amplified
when Internet users are marginalised people who are not able to organise
themselves and get their voice heard by policy-makers.

The Dynamic
Coalition on Network Neutrality (DC NN) has elaborated a Report on “The Value
of Network Neutrality for the Internet of Tomorrow” that aims at elucidating
some of the facets of the NN debate, focusing particularly on human rights
issues. The report is available here: http://nebula.wsimg.com/22eb364444f4e32abb876b9be835baf8?AccessKeyId=B45063449B96D27B8F85&disposition=0

By all
means, comments are more than welcome.

Furthermore,
the DC NN has developed a model framework on net neutrality, transposing the
IETF standardisation process to NN policy-making (see the contribution on “A Discourse
Principle Approach to Network Neutrality” in the DC NN report). The elaboration
of the model framework was initiated and has been stimulated by the Council of
Europe that stressed the need for a model framework on net neutrality since 2010 (see: art 9 of
the CoE Committee of Ministers Declaration on Network Neutrality). The model
has been developed entirely online by the DC NN through an open, transparent,
inclusive and multi-stakeholder approach and is going to be communicated to the
CoE Committee of Ministers in a couple of weeks.

What we
should be aware of is that unregulated discriminatory traffic-management has
the potential to affect almost all dimensions of Internet governance, leading
to enormous concentration of power in the hands of private entities that are
not framed by rule-of-law and due process principles. For this reason, y humble opinion is that NN
should be one of the priorities of the Rio “meeting” in April.

I truly hope
that that people will realise that what is at stake is the choice between
allowing Internet users to be active participants to the Internet or mere
information recipients.

All the
best,

Luca

Luca Belli
Doctorant en Droit PublicCERSA,Université Panthéon-AssasSorbonne University