[governance] Re: CS strategic objectives in Internet governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Nov 1 06:19:57 EDT 2013

On 01/11/13 17:58, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> Apologies for cross posting but it seems needed.

+1 Bill, and you understand this already, but just in case anyone else
is confused, /the coalition/dialogue is not a Best Bits initiative./
The civil society representatives to the coalition/dialogue were simply
put forward (in something of a hurry, it must be said) at a meeting that
we organised.  Therefore, whilst the civil society reps can pass along
your points (and have already made similar points, as I understand), it
isn't in their hands alone to open up the coalition/dialogue list.
Therefore perhaps your message wasn't cross-posted widely enough!

> As for the composition, if I understand correctly, you say there
> are 21 reps of business and the TC, plus 4 reps of CS, drawn solely
> from the Best Bits contingent of folks who were able to be in Bali.
>  While you four are of course all great reps, this is obviously not a
> good inter-stakeholder group balance, and more people should be drawn
> in (although obviously not to the point of having a huge and
> unworkable group).

Or else, another option is ultimately to pull out of the coalition/dialogue.

> I think there's a need to reach beyond just the IGF-oriented chunk of
> CS. ... Same goes if there's consideration being given to other
> relevant coalitions, whether issue-based (privacy, IPR, whatever) or
> org-based (OECD CSISAC etc).  We need to evolve some sort of
> principled basis for doing this.

Absolutely agree.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.