[governance] On acceptable and unacceptable criticism

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:32:16 EDT 2013

Norbert,

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:
>
>> When a coordinator tells people that to criticize the coordinator is
>> cause for discipline by the coordinator, it goes too far.
>
> I strongly agree.
>
> However no coordinator has said or written that “to criticize the
> coordinator is cause for discipline by the coordinator”.
>
> Of course discussion of coordinator actions, including critical
> discussion, is legitimate -- such discussion just needs to conform to
> the general posting rules of the IGC Charter, just like postings on
> any other topic.
>
> Disparaging remarks about any member of the Caucus are not allowed.

Great, then you will be taking action against people who use terms
like "post-colonial", "hegemonic Civil Society" and "single rooter"?
These terms are not used to describe but rather to insult, and often
used incorrectly.  For example, the way post-colonialism is defined at
Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcolonialism

seems to indicate that those who use the term are using it 180 degrees
from the way it is defined.  In other words, using a "third world
lens" to view IG issues is actually practicing post-colonialism.

In terms of "single-rootism", the IAB in RFC2826 says:

   "To remain a global network, the Internet requires the existence of a
   globally unique public name space.  The DNS name space is a
   hierarchical name space derived from a single, globally unique root.
   This is a technical constraint inherent in the design of the DNS."

While the term is meant (IMHO) to be insulting, it actually describes
the vast majority of us who want coherence in our DNS resolution and
who follow RFCs.

In short, I am hoping the co-cos will watch the uses of disparaging
terminology by all, not just by a select few.

--
Cheers,

McTim