[governance] On majority and minority viewpoints (was Re: NET NEUTRALITY AND MORE)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed May 29 07:18:49 EDT 2013

Suresh,

of course the bedouin in that story [1] was a fool.
[1] http://camelphotos.com/tales_nose.html

Of course I am not suggesting that in a consensus or rough consensus
process, holders of a majority viewpoint should agree to something
that they are in actual reality opposed to. Seeking to accommodate the
minority point of view just means to try to find a wording that is
acceptable from both perspectives. A rough consensus call is possible
only after that has been tried unsuccessfully.

On some (perhaps most) issues we will not reach consensus and not reach
rough consensus either. That's ok. IGC is supposed to “provide a forum
for discussion, advocacy, action, and for representation of civil
society contributions in Internet governance processes”. (That's from
the mission statement in the IGC Charter.) The concept of a “forum”
implies accommodating and supporting a plurality of civil society
agendas.

Greetings,
Norbert