[governance] Potential IGC letter to US gov (was Re: NET NEUTRALITY AND MORE)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed May 29 04:26:01 EDT 2013

RP

Thanks for this, and the link.

I am not worried about containers and their labels, it is the content.
Call it what you like, increasing democracy, improving relationships,
MS, or whatever... the problem is that even on these formulations there
is not simultaneous possibility of engaging in such a transformative
process that recognises the 'other'... you can play, as long as you play
nice with ICANN or other US interests. Power I can deal with if there is
space for some contestability. On this list I am afraid, forget
political action, despite Norbert's efforts, a lot still needs to be
done for working with the established TW perspective (by this I mean the
loose network of post colonials). But hey if it makes things happen, why
not because it is change we are interested in.

Curran was excellent when he responded regarding how he saw the
evolution of the system. I was surprised, very in fact. And there was a
sophistication not present in much of what shapes discourse on this
list. Perhaps more of this will come through... I am sure that most of
TW will go for reforms that are meaningful even if incremental. But it
is important for people to understand that it is a democratic choice not
to participate in processes as well. One cannot even get reasonable
engagement (much better after Norbert) even if one concedes the great
work that current arrangements allow. We are put on the treadmill like
hamsters justifying old positions and repeating them, while new
arguments are tested on us as if we were guinea pigs to see how we
respond, when illegitimacy as an issue is a non-issue.

I do not know how to explain how callous this sounds to my third world
sensibility. So yours is a refreshing interlude and hope you can both
push this and take us as chip on shoulder muppets, but without malice!

Thanks so much!