[governance] NET NEUTRALITY AND MORE

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 28 09:55:20 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 04:30 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 28 May 2013, at 12:19, Riaz Tayob wrote:
>
>> So Avri, what is your stance on DOC origination and ICANN control over CIR?
> Not sure what you mean by DOC origination.
>
> I do beleive, as I have said elsewhere, that DOC would just as soon hand the responsibilities over.  Just not to another governments or to a intergovernmental institution.

To whom, then? And when? I have proposed earlier that IGC writes to the
US gov (it is not DOC, it is the US gov) that they forgo their oversight
role to an international body.... We can always propose some such body,
say, a technical board, with 10 members, 2 each from each geo-political/
geographic, region, elected from selected top technical academic
institutions by rotation from each country in the region... any other
suggestion is welcome... Elections from ALAC ?, something else? But we
much act on what we believe or say.... Non action is simply another form
of politics .

My proposal here is serious, and I propose that we as IGC begin work on
it. What better timing then the forthcoming meeting of the WG on
enhanced cooperation.

(And we will know if US really is quite ready to had over power, as you
say it is....)

> I don't beleive that ICANN controls cIr, but rather that it control one form of names and has some influence over IP numbering, though by no means controlling inlfuence - talk to the RIRs about the control of numbers.
>
> As for ICANN it is in process of becoming a genuinely multistakeholder organization with a soft multistakeholder oversight model.  But I also beleive that it is not quite there yet and is not ready yet for full responsibility of the IANA process.  I see NTIA as the responsible adult in the room,

How hurtful to the democratic dignity of all non US-ians !! And of
course UN or a UN body is not a 'responsible adult'.... thanks so much,
especially coming from a US citizen.

>   and I see that responsibility as a holdover from the past.

Yes, the British told us, Indians, such things for a long time.... And
now some right wing Hindu parties quote history to seek political
supremacy, and corresponding subjugation of minority groups.... History
is always very convenient to quote, especially since it is not around
any more. To me, it is painful that US government is so openly credited
with a legitimate 'historical role' in global IG by people of global
civil society! What about UN's historical role in global governance,
having seen us through so ably over the last many decades which saw such
great progress in global prosperity, human rights and democracy. To what
avail is all that! Do we really need to begin comparing US's global
governance role in recent history with that of the UN?

>   I think that the more of the stakeholder get involved in ICANN processes instead of judging it from outside,

Alternatively, one may ask, why all post-democratic
multistakeholder-ists do not participate in the much better established
movements for furthering democracy - from local self governance to
global governance, rather than posit non democratic alternatives, like
relying on 'responsible adults', and proposing that big business should
have an equal role as democratically elected governments and civil
society in governance functions.

parminder