[governance] The danger of blindly trusting the technocrats

Riaz Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue May 28 06:16:32 EDT 2013

What resistence are you talking about? In general or regarding CIR?

Imho, as far as CIR goes, and frequent attempts to shape the agenda on
these matters, particularly with regard to third world players, resistence
to ICANN is futile.

Even just simple recognition that self interest of corporates does not
NECESSARILY accord with the public interest as an issue is a problem, even
is MS governance is accepted as a valid proposition in its current form.
This is the case even after the financial crisis when even Alan Greenspan
found a flaw in his ideology because players did not act according to their
self interest and pursuit of profit!

The reason why it is easy to go to motive with these kinds of views (aside
from the fact that academics and practitioners of these kinds of views like
the Oracle Greenspan):

1. Proponents of the theory or views criticise or recognise the
shortcomings themselves.

2. The logic of the theory is less than felicitously applied (internal
coherence) - free markets are best (never mind that ALL the big corporates
do not operate in perfectly competitive markets, in fact far from the ideal
of being price takers with multiple firms that exercise no market power, or
that there is silence on breaking up these less than perfectly competitive
firms, ICANN is a creation of statute - it functions both as a public
utility and with some market orientation) even when analytic applied is so
abstract as to be devoid of any empirical foundation.

But since we have been here before, I defer from now on as my truth is not
improved by overstatement nor repetition.

Riaz