[governance] The danger of blindly trusting the technocrats

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue May 28 01:30:06 EDT 2013

On 2013/05/27 09:23 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> In the end, self-justificatory righteousness by civil society can be
> just as harmful as industry advocacy that is designed only to benefit
> a company or a sector without regard for broader impacts.

Nick this is simply a truism. We face a collective action trap here. And
it is the AGE OLD problem with democratic organisation, benefits that
are small and widespread have trouble competing with small organised
groups that glean large benefits.

That should simply make public interest receive more space in the field
than petulance from corporates (who anyway use the revolving door to
good effect) BECAUSE finding people knowledgeable and committed to the
public interest is difficult, as is managing conflicts of interests. One
could go the WHO way and ignore ANY meaningful management of conflicts
of interests, and get a Swine Flu pandemic that was not a pandemic, or
one could encourage the MStakeholder crew to take these matters seriously.

The imbalance is neglect of public interest AND the ability of
corporates to "collude" (legitimately or not so) for their interests,
which can be at odds with the public interest. The strawman created by
repetition does not become more true because of its frequency nor the
marginalisation that corporates feel.

It will not do to be self-righteous for civil society, nor will it do
for corporates or their representatives to push for self interest that
is not contingent.

This is just politics... and the terrain must be equitable and fair...
that is all.. all the rest we can work out...

Riaz