[governance] The danger of blindly trusting the technocrats

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue May 28 01:22:57 EDT 2013

FWIW, which is why deliberation is important where the trump card is
reason (even if we disagree at first principles). In this vein, creating
a strawman (like assuming a critical stance is necessarily an aggressive
one, like the ad nauseum pining about corporates as stakeholders as
being no different from, for instance, public interest arguments or
positions) and shooting them down is a rather weak tactical move if not
backed up by substance. Even Greenspan gets the point that self-interest
(or profit) may not be an adequate check on 'animal spirits' of the
market. These matters are context specific, and it simply depends... We
can all see what light touch regulation or self-supervision have done to
the US in the name of profit and efficiency in the mortgage market. With
being ad hominem, one (not you or anyone specific here) really has to be
crazy or blind or ideologically or financially committed to push the
soft touch or trust the profit motive line in this day and age. But
perhaps not, with about 11 trillion spent on bankers and the bill sent
to the people (sequester) it seems like the Borg has it right as far as
public interest in the US goes (of course from an outsider perspective
looking in) - resistance is futile...

Riaz