[governance] Request for comment on proposal for IGF multistakeholder opinions

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Sun May 26 06:06:01 EDT 2013

John,

The term "in their respective roles" stems from art. 49 Geneva Declaration of Principles which was reiterated in art. 35 Tunis Declaration.

There was a special sovereign right for development of public policy accorded to states, not governments. Presumably, democratic states would use democratic (multi-stakeholder) ways and processes to determine public policies, whereas non-democratic states would be sovereign in how they do their policy development, whether we like it if not.

In order to come to international understandings, my interpretation is that these sovereign states need to cooperate. If they follow the interpretation of "enhanced cooperation" that is in use in the European Union institutions, then a couple of like minded states could cooperate even if their is no full consensus with all states.

So, there was no recognition of international business or international civil society to have a sovereign right in this sphere, although they are invited to contribute in their own roles.

Peter

On 26.05.2013, at 11:22, "Roland Perry" <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

In message <DC4CABFE-C03C-4A11-A58E-167FB68FEC19 at istaff.org>, at 12:14:32 on Fri, 24 May 2013, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> writes

>   This brings up an excellent point...  Has there been attempt to elaborate   the "respective roles and responsibilities", and in particular, as to what    that phrase actually means with respect to governments?
>
>   I believe that multistakeholder policy development should be open to all   in equal roles, but it is also clear that there are some additional aspects    which are unique to governments (such as enforcement.)  An elaboration    of what is meant by "respective roles" may not lead to agreement, but will    certainly improve communication of the various perspectives

One distinct possibility is that it means "everyone is expected to their day-job, in so far as it maps into the IG space", although it doesn't exclude others from offering helpful advice.

Also, don't forget self-regulatory enforcement, for example of IP Address Policy, by organisations other than Governments.
--
Roland Perry

    governance at lists.igcaucus.org