[governance] Request for comment on proposal for IGF multistakeholder opinions

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri May 24 12:14:32 EDT 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 4:03 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> In fact, I can only view it as a step backwards because of its reversion to the language that makes representatives of national governments preeminent policy makers and the rest of us nothing more than consultants to them at their pleasure. I am referring, of course, to the language about “each in their respective roles and responsibilities.”

Milton -

  This brings up an excellent point...  Has there been attempt to elaborate
  the "respective roles and responsibilities", and in particular, as to what
  that phrase actually means with respect to governments?

  I believe that multistakeholder policy development should be open to all
  in equal roles, but it is also clear that there are some additional aspects
  which are unique to governments (such as enforcement.)  An elaboration
  of what is meant by "respective roles" may not lead to agreement, but will
  certainly improve communication of the various perspectives.

Thoughts?
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.  My respective role and responsibility on this
list is to ask (when uncertain), answer (when asked), and to listen otherwise.