[governance] Revised proposal on IGF "multi-stakeholder opinion" based on Brazilian proposal open for endorsement

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon May 20 06:29:54 EDT 2013

Thanks to those who offered amendments to the draft proposal for the IGF
to develop a multi-stakeholder opinion based on the Brazilian proposal.
The marked-up text with the amendments is here:

http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/igf-opinions

The same text in clean form is now open for endorsements here (half an
hour later than promised, sorry):

http://bestbits.net/igf-opinions/

I didn't make any further adjustments to the amendments that others
proposed, except for the following:

  * Typographical amendments/corrections.
  * Since "recommendations" is a touchy word, I changed language that
    someone had added on "recommendations" to read "opinions".
  * Although she didn't propose text, Joy made some substantive comments
    that I had to try to reflect as best I could, without clashing too
    much with amendments that others had made.  So I:
      o Removed some of the detail about the process ("Groups would be
        equipped with writing materials, copies of the background paper,
        a flip chart, and a neutral facilitator").
      o Changed the title from "Multistakeholder opinions: an experiment
        for the IGF" to "Proposal for a multistakeholder opinion on
        operationalizing the role of Government in the multi-stakeholder
        framework for Internet Governance".
      o Added a new sentence "It is not proposed as a broad-based
        solution to address a range of policy issues, but as a response
        to this particular call for the Brazilian opinion to be
        discussed various other fora".

Anriette and Valeria had offered to deliver the text to the open
consultation/MAG - I guess this is on the assumption that they are still
satisfied with it.  I'll also ask one of the technical community members
if they are willing to speak up in favour of it, to show a measure of
multi-stakeholder support.  We are still waiting to hear from Brazil.

I realise that the text as it now stands will not satisfy everyone, and
if you are one of those then of course, please don't feel pressured to
endorse it.  We are not putting this forward as a statement of civil
society or the Best Bits group at large, but only those who choose to
support it.

I'm not sure exactly when there will be an opportunity to put this
forward at the open consultation/MAG meeting, because that depends on
how the meeting goes, but the text will be open for endorsement until
that time.

Thanks everyone!

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 -- Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational