[bestbits] [IRPCoalition] [governance] Request for comment on proposal for IGF multistakeholder opinions

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun May 19 06:42:26 EDT 2013

On 19/05/2013, at 5:32 PM, William Drake <william.drake at UZH.CH> wrote:

> First, the WTPF was convened pursuant to a Plenipotentiary decision and may be discussed at the 11-21 June Council meeting.  The WTPF Chairman's Report includes the Brazil-based discussion as agreed and notes twice the recommendation of WG 3's chair that the discussion be taken up in the CWG on Internet Policy.  In his closing statement, Toure called for the CWG to be "opened up" on the same basis as the WTPF as Sweden proposed last year so the issues could be discussed in a manner ITU calls multistakeholder.

But because we can't guarantee that this will actually happen, this is a backup plan.

> Meanwhile, as was noted in the meeting, there are no mechanisms for the ITU to formally forward to another entity a (failed) proposal of one of its bodies for consideration.

But equally, nothing to stop another such entity from taking it up of their own volition.

>  So while governments who wanted to set aside the proposal suggested we should all "talk about the issues" at IGF, the ITU probably will still go forward with its own process in some manner.   In which context, many countries (and not necessarily just developing countries) might object to the idea of the IGF somehow formally taking up an internal ITU text, especially one still under discussion.

They'll have the opportunity to object next week, so let's hear what they have to say. :-)

> Bottom line, I can see some governments saying sure let's chit chat about the broad topic at an IGF main session, but do you really think they'd agree to a formal debate and adoption process regarding an ITU-originated document?

Let's find out.

> Brazil's been one of CS' best partners and supporters, so at a minimum I'd first seek dialogue with them to see what they're thinking could be the way forward, rather than presume to just unilaterally propose an IGF process about their failed Opinion.

Yes that's true, and I'm working on that in parallel.  I've been in dialogue with Alexandre Scudiere Fontenelle who is Brazil's rep on the CSTD Working Group and will ask Joana (who as you know was at the WTPF) to address the issue with her contacts.

> Third, I don't see how the MAG could possibly agree by COB Thursday to restructure the IGF process so as to enable the process you seek.

There's no restructuring as such, it's just an extra main session, but yes it would disrupt the plans made in February.  On the other hand there is still plenty of time to make changes before October, and major changes have been made on shorter notice before.  Remember the special host country session in Sharm?

> Again, I understand your interest in seeing the IGF reformed to do this sort of thing, and in the broad topic addressed by the Brazilian proposal, but all in all it's not clear trying to make this happen is going to be a good use of peoples' time.  Restructuring the IGF and enhancing the role of ITU and governments in IG are both big topics that would probably require longer processes of consideration and development than is possible for the Bali program.

Thanks for the note of realism!  It could be argued, conversely, that the MAG is the servant of the IGF community, so if there is strong enough support for it, it's the MAG's job to make it happen.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map: https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.