[governance] Industrial Progress, revisited…

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 19 06:00:08 EDT 2013

In message
<CAOLD2+Z21KKQiPV4L=5e-LsZvFv5bOG3b9=60CKUdF3_ZiB2Lg at mail.gmail.com>, at
23:17:15 on Sat, 18 May 2013, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
writes

>What does "disintermediating democracy" mean in practice,

Stripping away the intermediaries - in this case the representatives.

I'm not sure this happens very often in practice.

>and who gets to decide whether a "representative" is actually
>representing his/her constituents or not?

Representatives are usually appointed or voted, and it's possible in
some cases to examine the election/appointment process if it's
transparent enough [for example, what's the length of tenure, were they
the only candidate etc] and also look at the quality of the reporting
back to their constituency, to get a feel for how much the
representative is in touch with their constituency.

Ultimately, there might even be overt signs from the constituency that
they feel their representative is doing an especially good, or bad, job.

If you understand the constituency yourself, it's sometimes possible to
say whether the messages the representative is handing out are "in tune"
with that constituency. For example, a representative of the Internet
Technical Community going round saying that transition to IPv6 should be
stopped because there are, after all, enough IPv4 addresses for
everyone, might be visibly "off piste" as they say.
--
Roland Perry