[governance] Industrial Progress, revisited…

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 18 12:36:44 EDT 2013

On Saturday 18 May 2013 09:10 PM, McTim wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>

>> A very good warning against giving big business a veto over public policy
>> decisions, which is what multistakeholderism  essentially is, in the manner
>> it is propagated in global IG today.
> This is not the case in any of the fora I have ever been to (remotely
> or in person)  Would you care to back up your assertion with an
> example?

Yes, I have an example. You spoke on this elist about Google having a
vote at WCIT.... By that logic of course the many other big businesses
present there would also have a vote, along with a plenty of google
funded NGOs... At WCIT things get decided by consensus.... And this
scenario has so many votes for big business... That of course
constitutes a veto.

An issue cannot pass the IGF MAG if big business doesnt agree to it - so
it cant even make the agenda without big business's consent.....

(IT for Change had proposed a workshop on "Regulating global Internet
businesses - Role for global frameworks'. MAG did not find it an
appropriate topic for discussion at the IGF. Funny, because, almost
everyone I meet outside the charmed IG circle thinks that this is 'the'
thing that needs to be done something about, at a global level.)

You can see how multistakeholderism is emerging as a safety value
against public policy controls over the free reign that Internet
businesses will like to have, and largely has today.

All this is very problematic for the future of democracy... And we are
becoming either co- conspirators to this or silent spectators

parminder