[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

Catherine Roy ecrire at catherine-roy.net
Fri May 17 14:48:51 EDT 2013

On 17/05/2013 9:19 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> It may turn out to be impossible to effectively influence W3C's
> decisions on this, but it certainly is possible to define a "profile",
> i.e. a precise specification of the nice and large subset of HTML5
> which is acceptable from the perspective of people who value freedom:
>
> http://FreedomHTML.org

Apologies for not responding sooner; I have been rather ill this week.

I think this is an intriguing idea and have subscribed to your mailing
list and hope others do as well. I am relieved you are not proposing a
fork; the Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group[1] working
on its own version of HTML5 for the last year has meant additional work
to try to keep things coherent. I think your initiative needs to be
widely publicized, particularly within communities that have the
necessary expertise to contribute on a technical level.

However, I still think, as I have stated previously, that an alternate
proposal to the EME spec would go a long way to offering alternative
solutions for those who need them. Someone (apologies, I do not remember
who) mentioned earlier in this thread that a spec is a spec and still
needs adoption. I would point out that EME is already in use even though
it has barely made it to First Public Working Draft (but then, that has
been the case with much of HTML5 as well). Currently, Chrome has
preliminary support for EME, and Netflix, which relied on Silverlight in
the past, is using it to power its current browser-based video player.

I am not pro-DRM, quite the contrary, and I do hope CSIGC rallies with
others who have publicly deplored the W3C's advancement of EME, but I do
not think it is going away any time soon. So perhaps your new forum can
also contribute to proposing alternatives. I would be happy to help
publicize FreeHTML.org if you think that can be helpful.

Best regards,

Catherine

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/

--