[governance] Ethical principles on which the Internet is based

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri May 17 09:50:56 EDT 2013

From the blog of Konstantinos Komaitis, Policy Advisor of ISOC:

   ...Internet technology and platforms are based on some ethical
   considerations: the fact that everyone should have access to the
   Internet, the fact that the Internet does not distinguish who
   participates in its social construction and technological evolution
   (equality of participation), the principle that there should not be
   any discrimination in relation to the services available to users
   (the end-to-end principle) and the Internet’s paradigm of open
   standards are invaluable principles, which reflect ethical
   propositions.

   What makes this approach, I feel, more sustainable in the context of
   Internet ethics, is the fact that these considerations are not
   subjective – these are the principles under which the Internet was
   originally built. And, we are fortunate that the ethical standards of
   the Internet’s architects reflected such ideals that have
   subsequently been transposed to the architecture of the Internet.

Source:
http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2013/05/thinking-about-ethics-internet-space

Are we all in agreement with these principles, and with the assertion
that the Internet has been originally built according to these
principles?

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person