[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:30:49 EDT 2013

As seems to be apparent in all aspects having to do with MS stuff there are
a number of significant ambiguities in what you (and others) have written on
this Sala.

Does "muliti-stakeholder" mean multiple stakeholder groups or multiple
stakeholders irrespective of groupings i.e. many stakeholders

Following this does "stakeholder" refer to an individual element with a
"stake"/interest, or a grouping which presumably has a stake/interest in
common among its members viz. is Google for example, a single "stakeholder"
or is it a component of the "private sector" stakeholder grouping or is it
both and if so what kind of a MS process would be the result.

And then how do we define "stake" (interest?) (and thus the holder of such a
"stake"/interest i.e. a "stakeholder") and is this definition something done
by the individual, by the grouping, by an external party.

Is there a gradation of "stakes" i.e. do some have more of a "stake" than
others and if so what are the implications of this--from a for example,
weight of participation perspective--should the participation of those with
more "stake" be given more weight in multi-stakeholder processes (and so on.
If the answer is no, then what procedure is in place to ensure that those
with "legitimate" stakes are equally able to pursue those stakes whatever
their base of resources to support their interventions.

Can the stakeholder be incorrect in their delineation of their "stake" i.e.
can a 3rd party say to a stakeholder (or to a stakeholder group q.v.) -- you
cannot participate because you are not a "legitimate" stakeholder in this
particular decision process. If this is possible who determines the process
of this assessment, if it is not possible then how would it be possible to,
for example exclude trolls, brigands, those using false information to
pursue ulterior (illegal?) ends,

(and as I alluded to in my blogpost.answering these (and the myriad of
other) issues is not purely academic since it would appear that extremely
weighty issues and decisions are being mooted for realization through MS
processes.