[governance] Fwd: [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Thu May 16 05:46:09 EDT 2013

On 16/05/2013 8:05 a.m., Roland Perry wrote:
> I've always been in favour of spending the whole week ("helicopter
> lobbying" isn't my scene), although the start has been suffering from
> significant creep in recent years. Once upon a time you might get away
> with arriving on Saturday, for participating Sunday, but now it's been
> pushed back from even that (in Beijing four tracks on Saturday, and
> others even earlier).
>
> The problem with attending different silos is the way the agenda has
> become increasingly arranged around constituency-ism (so if you want to
> attend "your" constituency then you can't do that as well attend
> others), and with as many as ten tracks simultaneously.

Exactly my point.

At a personal level - I spend most of my time in the ccNSO silo, and
have a good understanding of the ccTLD communities views on all sorts of
issues, take for example, WHOIS. I have some idea of the GAC's view, and
no idea of any other constituency views on this topic. It would make
more sense to have the multistakeholder dialogue on this topic so I
could appreciate the range of opinion.

At an operational level - the WHOIS review team came to an ICANN meeting
and had to do 11 separate presentations to work through all
constituencies - surely this is a waste of everyones time, most
especially the review teams, and surely it is symptomatic of being
non-multistakeholder in nature as it is a series of silo'ised discussions.

Cheers

Keith